Saturday, June 25, 2016

I Am A Voice - Concluding Part


Part I, Part II and Part III can be accessed here, in case you haven't read them
_________________________________________________________________________

Romeo never once doubted me. Before the confused murmurs of the people in the hallway could reach a discernible level, he jabbed D’mitri in the throat with the small needle he had been carrying in a hidden compartment in the sleeve of his blazer. A needle dipped in the deadliest of poisons available. A poison I had guided Romeo to. Then he laid him against the railing and nimbly squeezed between the people towards the elevators.

He was outside an elevator when the lights came on ten seconds later. It took a good two minutes for people to find their bearings after the sudden blackout. It took them two more minutes to notice the man sitting on the ground, his back to the railing, head hanging limply to one side. Romeo was by this time entering our room on the second floor.

I turned just as he entered. The feed from the cameras on the first floor was visible on three screens in front of me. I had hacked into the hotel’s system earlier without a hitch. I quickly shut down the laptops and shoved them inside bags just as Bravo came in.

“Are you sure it was him?” Romeo asked me.

I showed him the reading from the voice comparison device. “His voice came on perfectly through your wrist mike. It was a solid match,” I told him. Silently, Romeo took the SIM card out of his cell phone and went to the bathroom to flush it down the toilet, while Bravo stuffed voice analyser in a separate bag, along with his wireless earpiece and wrist mike. I handed him my own just as Romeo came out and followed suit.

“Solid timing on cutting the power,” I told Bravo, who shrugged off the compliment. I looked at Romeo, who was staring daggers at me.

“What?” I asked him.

“I could snap your bloody neck right now,” he growled.

I pulled my best innocent face.

“All that justice and vengeance and restoring balance stuff you kept yapping about it my ear…”

“Hey, it gets pretty boring in here, surrounded by all these machines, you know. Gotta do something to make it more interesting….” I said.

Bravo started chuckling. Romeo said nothing.

“Besides,” I told him, “It’s nothing compared to what I tell myself in my head.”

Bravo burst out laughing. I followed suit. Romeo continued to glare.

THE END

No comments: