Friday, June 10, 2016

I Am A Voice - Part II


Next part of the story. First timers requested to read Part I before this one.
______________________________________________________________


For weeks, Romeo had watched him, had followed his every move. He had broken into his house and looked through his trash and stolen his mail till Romeo finally learned that he was scheming with a character as unsavoury as himself. To inflict further damage upon a world that had already suffered much at his hands. And this is where we came in. Romeo and I were the avengers as well as the protectors.

So we took the other character out of the equation. That is to say, Romeo did. I am just a voice, remember? I am just the voice telling Romeo what to do. And Romeo, the ever faithful soldier of my cause, did it without asking me a single question. He trusted me. He believed in me. He was willing to be guided by me. And I was only too happy to make him the instrument of my vengeance on those who deserved it so badly I could almost hear them begging for it.

With me guiding him at every step, Romeo replaced the other character and started corresponding with the man in the suit. We killed the other guy, of course, after extracting every bit of information from him. Again, Romeo did it all. I just showed him the path. And he walked it in wonderful, obedient silence.

Every single command was only met with prompt compliance. 

Crush another finger joint; he isn’t talking fast enough.

He’s lying to you, shoot him in the knee.

You’re done with him. Kill him. 

All I had to do was ask.

And so, here he was, the man in the suit, waiting for communication from someone he thought was going to help him make more money.

Let him wait, I told Romeo. No, don’t go too close to him. Maintain your distance.

Romeo showed no outward signs of having even heard me. Smoothly, he walked past the coffee shop and stood outside a burger joint down the hallway. He leaned against the railing, looking down into the lobby. His head made tiny movements in different directions, as if he were waiting for someone and trying to spot them as they entered the lobby. This man was good. I had taught him well.

Ready to restore balance to the world? I asked.



TO BE CONTINUED 

No comments: