Saturday, June 18, 2016

I Am A Voice - Part III


The story continues. Click for Part I and Part II
___________________________________________________________

At first, Romeo was still. Then he gave a small nod.

Yes, I told him, you are. Tonight, you will punish this man for his sins. Tonight, you will complete your destiny, fulfil your purpose. After tonight, you will be proud of yourself.

Romeo clenched his fist but quickly released it. I smiled.

Do it, I told him.

He pulled out his cell phone, while casually turning around and leaning his back against the railing. Then he typed a short message: Italian food joint, red curtains. 15 mins. I knew because he had typed exactly what I had told him to type.

The moment is close, I said. After tonight, people will be scared to kill innocents. They will think twice before stealing from the poor and trampling on the weak. And you will be the unsung hero behind this success. That is your destiny. To be the silent shadow that strikes fear in the hearts of evil doers.

The Italian food joint with red curtains was further down the hallway, where the line of eateries turned to the left. Ten minutes after receiving Romeo’s message, the man in the expensive silk suit walked out of the coffee shop and started walking towards it through the thin evening crowd. It was that time of the day when guests at the hotel were freshening up to prepare for the evening ahead after a day of sightseeing. Romeo had by this time resumed his pose of a man mounting vigil over the lobby.

I waited. Romeo waited. We both waited for it to happen.

Of course it happened. That is what I do. I make mortals do my bidding and I make things happen.

It happened exactly a minute later, as the man drew up to where Romeo was standing. It happened almost at the exact second I wanted it to happen. But then, that was hardly surprising. What I say, happens.

Darkness enveloped the entire building as suddenly and unexpectedly as lightning falls. Romeo whirled around, grabbed the man in the suit and pulled him close.

“D’mitri?” I heard Romeo whisper. The startled man obliged with a startled “Kto?” the Russian for, “Who?”

Now, I commanded.


TO BE CONTINUED


No comments: